Hey there, fellow yarn lovers! Autumn is just around the corner, and you know what that means—time to snuggle up with your crochet hooks and yarn.
One of the best ways to welcome the season is by crocheting some autumn-inspired squares. Scroll on down to get started!
What You’ll Need for Autumn Crochet Squares
Ready to crochet some cozy fall squares? Here are a list of some supplies and tools that you should keep nearby:
- Worsted Weight Yarn: It’s both easy to find, available in a variety of colors and snuggly—just right for fall.
- Colors: Go for autumn hues like burnt orange, deep red, and gold. Check out Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice for a solid color range.
Tips for Choosing Yarn
- Material: Wool or acrylic yarns are great for added warmth. 100% cotton is a good choice if the squares will be used for kitchen and bath projects.
- Colors: Choose earthy, rich colors to match the autumn theme.
- Weight: Depending on the square project, you might want to go for chunkier yarns for quicker completion and extra coziness, like the apple square below.
- Size H (5 mm) or I (5.5 mm): Ideal for worsted weight yarn. (The patterns below may call for a different size crochet hook)
- Ergonomic Hooks: These are easier on your hands for those crochet marathons. Tulip Etimo hooks are my go-to.
- Sharp Crafting Scissors: These will give you neat yarn cuts. Stork scissors are a solid choice.
- Blunt-Tip Yarn Needle: A must-have for weaving in loose ends.
- Removable Markers: Great for marking corners or tricky stitches. I like the basic plastic locking ones. They are not necessary, but they can help keep your place in these squares.
- Measuring Tape: To double-check square sizes.
- Blocking Board & Pins: Helps shape your squares just right.
- Stitch Dictionary: Good for a quick look-up on unfamiliar stitches.
- Yarn Bowl: Keeps your yarn from rolling away.
- Project Bag: Handy for storing your work and tools when you’re on the move.
Autumn Crochet Square Patterns
Whether you’re making a blanket, table runner, or cushion cover, these Autumn crochet square patterns will add that cozy touch to your fall décor. Enjoy and Happy Crocheting!
Pumpkin Spice Square
This one is an ode to everyone’s favorite autumn drink—pumpkin spice lattes! Using orange, green, and cream colors, create a square that features a pumpkin motif in the center.
Yarn: Caron One Pound
Size: 8 x 8 inches
Fall Leaf Square
Capture the essence of falling leaves with a leaf square. Choose a mix of reds, oranges, and yellows for that full-on fall effect. Great for making a bigger project like an autumn blanket, tablecloth, or pillow.
Yarn: Bernat Super Value
Size: 5 x 5 inches
Cable Textured Square
Texture is the name of the game when it comes to feeling cozy. Integrate cables into a square for that extra touch. Think about using Fall tones like yellow, brown, or cream too, so it mimics the colors of a sunflower.
Yarn: Vanna’s Choice
Size: 12 x 12 inches
Granny Square Twisted Leaves
Give the classic granny square an autumn twist by using fall-themed leaf colors. Maybe toss in some golds and browns to create a gradient effect that mimics the changing leaves. This granny square for autumn is great for most skill levels of crocheters for when you just want to Netflix and crochet.
Yarn: Caron Simply Soft
Size: 6 x 6 inches
Apple Harvest Square
An apple a day keeps the doctor away, and an apple square keeps your home looking cute! Try crocheting a square with an apple in the center. Green and red apples both work, so choose your favorite!
Yarn: Wool-Ease Thick & Quick
Size: 8 x 8 inches
So there you have it, folks! These are just a few ideas to get your creative juices flowing. Grab your hook and yarn and get ready to crochet your way into autumn bliss.