If you are searching for some crochet squares for a blanket, then you’ll love this collection of squares that are perfect for making a one of a kind blanket.
Below you’ll find all different types of squares from unique squares to the classic granny square as well that can be joined to make any size granny square blanket you wish.
Related: Do you need help with blanket sizing? Use our granny square calculator tool!
Materials For Crochet Squares
To make a crochet square for a blanket, you will need a few basic materials:
- Yarn: Choose a yarn in the weight and color(s) of your choice. For a crochet square, you can use any type of yarn, but it’s best to use a yarn that is smooth and easy to work with, such as acrylic or cotton yarn.
- Crochet hook: Select a crochet hook in the appropriate size for your yarn. The recommended hook size is usually listed on the yarn label, but it can also vary depending on the stitch pattern you’re using.
- Scissors: You will need a pair of scissors to cut the yarn.
- Tapestry needle: A tapestry needle (aka yarn needle, darning needle) is used to weave in the ends of the yarn and finish off your crochet square.
Optional materials that may be useful for making squares include stitch markers, which can help you keep track of your stitches, and a ruler or measuring tape to check the size of your square.
Overall, the materials you need to make a crochet square are simple and easy to find in most stores, making crocheting a square easy for beginners and experienced crafters alike.
Crochet Squares for A Blanket
Circle Square Pattern
Use this easy crochet square to make a simple but stunning blanket. You can customize the inside circle colors of the square to your liking, so you can make it your own!
Free Pattern by: This is Crochet
Yarn: Lion Brand Heartland
Leaf Square Pattern
This crochet leaf square pattern is perfect for fall-themed blanket projects. This square features a leaf design in the middle that can be customized in different colors.
Free Pattern by: Repeat Crafter Me
Yarn: Bernat Super Value
Solid Square Pattern
This unique solid granny square pattern uses Red Heart Super Saver Ombre, which gives it a gradual change of color throughout, and it would look gorgeous as an ombre blanket pattern!
Free Pattern by: This is Crochet
Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver Ombre
This mushroom square is a playful and imaginative crochet square pattern that features a detailed mushroom design with a stem, cap, and spots. This pattern is perfect for creating a cozy and whimsical crochet project.
Free Pattern by: JoKill
Yarn: Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice
Basic Granny Square Pattern
This classic granny square design is simple to make and always a good choice to use when making a crochet blanket. If you love easy crochet projects, then use this square!
Free Pattern By: This is Crochet
Yarn: Lion Brand Heartland Yarn
Alpine Stitch Square Pattern
This square made with the Alpine stitch that creates amazing texture. If you want a crocheted blanket that not only cozy but looks interesting too, then this is the one for you.
Free Pattern By: Nana’s Crafty Home
Yarn: WeCrochet Shine
Block Stitch Square Pattern
This beautiful granny square design featuring the block stitch is incredibly breathtaking. It is easy to customize with different yarn colors to make a stunning crochet square blanket design.
Free Pattern by: Pattern Paradise
Yarn: Shine Worsted
Rose Granny Square
The rosebud square is a delicate and feminine crochet square pattern that features a small, three-dimensional rosebud in the center of the square. This pattern is perfect for adding a romantic touch to any crochet project.
Free Pattern by: Moara Crochet
Yarn: Circiulo Amigurumi
Bloom Flower Square Pattern
Make this blooming flower granny square that uses Vanna’s Choice four weight yarn in three different yarn colors. This square pattern makes it easy to customize colors and the overall look of any blanket pattern.
Free Pattern by: Easy Crochet
Yarn: Vanna’s Choice
April Blossom Square Pattern
Learn how to make this one of a kind square that features a variety of different crochet stitches that joined as a blanket are stunning.
Free Pattern by: Lina Kittel
Yarn: Garns Studio Drops Paris
More Free Crochet Square and Granny Square Patterns
If you enjoyed this collection of granny square designs for blankets, then you may also like these other collections of granny square projects too.
- Winter Tree Crochet Square Pattern
- 5 Cozy Christmas Crochet Blankets Using Squares
- Cozy Up Your Autumn with 5 Crochet Square Patterns
- Easy Crochet Apple Square
- Favorite Free 12 Inch Crochet Square Patterns
- 7 Fun & Free Fall Crochet Square Patterns
- 12 Stunning Granny Square Patterns
- 7 Best Spooky Halloween Crochet Squares