You’ll love this small and simple crochet pentagon pattern! It uses only three crochet stitches that are simple and easy to learn, which means this pentagon pattern is easy as well!
Below, we’ll first discuss the materials you’ll need to create a pentagon for beginners (supplies and stitches) and then share the free crochet pentagon pattern.
How to Make a Crochet Pentagon Pattern
You’ll need just a few easy to find materials to be able to crochet a granny pentagon. Below, we’ll talk about the easiest yarn and crochet hook size for a beginner to start crocheting a pentagon with.
- Yarn: The best yarn for a beginner to crochet a pentagon with is a worsted weight (four weight) yarn. But keep in mind, this can be crocheted with any size yarn you wish.
- The example is using Lion Brand Heartland Yarn in Lassen Volcanic.
- Crochet Hook: The most common hook size used for a four weight yarn is a H 5 mm crochet hook. You can use whatever hook size you’d like. I suggest reading the yarn label of the yarn you pick for the crochet hook size that is recommended
- We recommend the Tulip Etimo Hook brand.
- Scissors: A nice pair of yarn scissors are great for cutting yarn ends when required.
- A pair of rainbow stork scissors are shown above.
- Tapestry Needle: You will need this to weave in the yarn ends once you are done crocheting a pentagon.
Stitches In A Granny Pentagon
To be able to complete a pentagon, you’ll need to know a few basic crochet stitches. All of them are easy to crochet, so you’ll be ok once you look over the stitches below.
Double Crochet (dc):
- Yarn over (yo) the crochet hook, insert the crochet hook into the designated stitch.
- Yo the crochet hook again, draw the yarn through the stitch, so there are 3 loops on the crochet hook
- Yo the crochet hook again, draw through 2 loops, so there are 2 loops on the crochet hook.
- Y0 the crochet hook, draw through the final 2 loops.
Groups of double crochets are worked together in one stitch when crocheting a granny pentagon, and those groups of double crochets are referred to as double crochet clusters.
Chain Stitch (ch):
A chain stitch is a simple crochet stitch that often serves as the foundation for other crochet stitches worked into a project.
- Make a slip knot.
- Yo (yarn over)
- Draw a loop of yarn back through the loop on the crochet hook. You have completed your first chain stitch.
- Yo and draw a loop through the loop on the crochet hook for each new chain stitch.
Slip Stitch (sl st):
- Insert the crochet hook into the designated stitch
- Yo (yarn over) and pull back through the stitch and through the loop on the crochet hook.
Let’s Get Started
Scroll on down to find the free crochet pentagon photo tutorial and pattern! Enjoy and if you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment.
Easy Crochet Pentagon Pattern
Learn how to crochet a pentagon with this step-by-step photo tutorial, which can be used in various projects like blankets or make them to use to join together for a blanket.
Skill Level: Easy
- Any 4 weight yarn (sample uses Lion Brand Heartland Yarn)
- H-8 5 mm crochet hook
- yarn needle (aka tapestry needle)
- Double Crochet (dc)
- Slip Stitch (sl st)
- Chain (ch)
- This pattern is written in US standard terms.
- 3.5″ x 3.5″ inches
Round 1: Ch 5, sl st to the first ch to form a circle.
Round 2: Ch 2, dc three times into the circle, *ch 2, dc three times into the circle, repeat from * for a total of 4 times ending with a ch 2 and a sl st into the top of the first dc.
Round 3: sl st into the next st, sl st into the next ch 2 space, ch 2 (counts as a dc), 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc into the ch 2 space from the round before, ch 2, *3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc into the next ch 2 space, repeat from * around end with a ch 2.
Finishing: Join to the top first dc of the round with a slip stitch or invisible join. Weave in loose ends throughout with a tapestry needle.
More Free Granny Square Patterns
If you enjoyed this Easy Crochet Pentagon Pattern, you may like these other crochet motifs too!