If you are looking for some granny squares to crochet, then this is the list for you!
Below, you can explore our fantastic collection of granny square patterns that will not only be fun to look at, but also fun to make too! Whether you’re a seasoned pro or just starting out on your crochet journey as a beginner, these patterns have something for everyone.
How to Crochet a Granny Square
But before we go right into our collection of squares, let’s first go over the basics of granny squares, the supplies you’ll need and even how to crochet a granny square too!
What You Need to Know
- Basic Crochet Stitches: Familiarize yourself with essential crochet stitches like chain (ch), slip stitch (sl st), single crochet (sc), and double crochet (dc). These stitches form the building blocks of the granny square.
- Tension and Gauge: Achieving consistent tension is crucial for a uniform granny square. Make sure your stitches are not too tight or too loose. Experiment with different hook sizes and yarns to achieve the desired gauge.
- Increasing and Turning: Learn how to create increases by working multiple stitches into the same stitch or space. You’ll also need to know how to turn your work to crochet on the opposite side.
What You Need to Have:
- Crochet Hooks: Choose a crochet hook appropriate for your yarn weight. Most granny squares are made with medium-weight yarn (worsted) and a hook size that complements the yarn.
- Yarn: Select yarn in your desired colors. Granny squares are a fantastic way to use up yarn scraps, experiment with color combinations, or stick to a single color for a classic look.
- Scissors: A pair of sharp scissors is essential for cutting yarn and tidying up loose ends.
- Yarn Needle: A yarn needle or tapestry needle is used to weave in yarn ends for a neat finish.
How to Crochet a Basic Granny Square:
Pattern: Full Basic Granny Square Tutorial
- Start with a Magic Ring (Optional): Create a magic ring by looping the yarn around your fingers and working stitches into the ring. Alternatively, you can start with a slip knot and chain a few stitches to form a ring.
- Crochet Rounds: You will then chain and work the granny square pattern with double crochets and chains.
- You can repeat this pattern for as many rounds as you like, changing colors if desired.
- Finishing: When your granny square reaches the desired size, fasten off the yarn, leaving a tail for weaving in. Weave in all yarn ends using a yarn needle.
Remember, practice makes perfect! Don’t be discouraged if your first granny square isn’t perfect – each one you make will expand your skills. As you become more comfortable with the basic granny square, you can explore variations, color combinations, and more intricate patterns to create unique and stunning crochet projects.
Crochet Granny Square Patterns
Get ready to be inspired, to learn, and most importantly, to fall head over heels in love with the captivating world of granny square patterns. Let’s dive in and let the crocheting magic begin.
Are you looking to add a touch of vintage charm to your home, or just want to learn how to crochet an easy granny square? Look no further than this basic crochet granny squares (also known as afghan squares or motifs) for the answer. Granny squares are one of the first projects a beginner makes…
Learn how to crochet a starburst granny square with this easy square pattern that has a photo tutorial as well as a written pattern. When you use both of these types of tutorials, you will be able to crochet this square easy and quick! Granny squares are a such a versatile pattern that can be…
Are you looking for a crochet project that works up fast, uses up leftover yarn, and is a beginner-friendly project? If so, learn how to crochet a small solid granny square with this easy crochet tutorial. Below, we’ll teach you step-by-step how to crochet a solid granny square that is 3″ by 3″ big, as…
You’ll love this small and simple crochet pentagon pattern! It uses only three crochet stitches that are simple and easy to learn, which means this pentagon pattern is easy as well! Below, we’ll first discuss the materials you’ll need to create a pentagon for beginners (supplies and stitches) and then share the free crochet pentagon…
Learn how to crochet this unique solid granny square pattern (no gaps!) with our easy tutorial. This square is a unique because of how the center is worked and the pattern it creates. Solid granny squares are great for baby blankets and pillows since there are so spaces or gaps. Below, we’ll go over the…
If you are looking for a simple one stitch square design, then this crochet heart square motif is for you! This is a beginner-friendly heart square pattern which can be worked up quickly and used in a variety of designs such as crochet blankets, bags, sweaters and more. How to Crochet a Heart Square To…
If you are looking for an easy beginner-friendly crochet square with a circle to make, then this is the one! This crochet circle square uses just a few basic stitches and works up quickly as well. Below, we’ll teach you how to make this square with a circle, as well as give you some project…
If you are looking for an easy and beginner-friendly crochet bobble rectangle to make, then this is the one! It uses just a few basic stitches and works up quickly, so you can make quite a bit of these in just a small amount of time. Below, we’ll teach you how to make a crochet…
If you’re looking for a fun and easy granny stripe pattern, look no further! Here’s a step-by-step guide to creating your own crochet granny stripe square that is perfect for beginner crocheters. How to Make a Granny Stripe Square To be able to make a granny square with stripes, you will need to know how…
When crocheting squares, it is always a good idea to use a square pattern that uses basic crochet stitches like this puff crochet square pattern! Below, you’ll find a square that uses just a few basic stitches as well as the puff stitch, which creates a square with a gorgeous texture. How to Crochet a…
If you are looking for an easy, friendly beginner crochet square that has a wonderful texture, then this is the one! This textured crochet square pattern uses just a few basic stitches (single crochet and double crochet!) and works up quickly as well. Below, we’ll teach you how to make this crochet square with texture, as…
If you are looking for a fun crochet square that has a wonderful texture, then this is the one! This crochet square pattern uses just a few basic stitches (half double and double crochet!) that are twisted to create a unique texture. Plus, as a bonus, it works up quickly as well. Below, we’ll teach you how…
If you are looking for an easy beginner-friendly crochet square for Fall to make, then this pumpkin crochet square is the one! This Fall crochet square pattern uses just a few basic stitches and works up quickly as well. Below, we’ll teach you how to make this square with a pumpkin and stem, as well…
Searching for a simple crochet square for autumn? Check out this apple-themed square! It’s beginner-friendly and uses only a few basic stitches. Plus, you’ll be able to whip it up in no time! Below, we’ll guide you through making this apple square and offer some creative ways to incorporate it into your projects. Keep reading!…
Hey fellow crochet lovers! Today, I’ve got something special to add a little winter magic to your projects—a 6×6 inch crochet square featuring a charming pine tree design. This tree crochet square uses half-double crochets (hdc), so it’s perfect for those who are beginners at crochet or for those that want something quick yet impressive….